Vita Brevis Breviter In Brevi Finietu

Vita Brevis Breviter In Brevi Finietu

Saturday 19 January 2013

Film Review: Snatch (2000)

Snatch


Snatch is a British film about an illegal boxing match and a stolen diamond. Various characters lives are intertwined in the lead up to a fixed boxing match between a gypsy (Brad Pitt) and a pro boxed, Brick Top (Alan Ford). Jason Statham and Stephen Graham (one of my favourites) make a fabulous pairing as the boxing promoters. Meanwhile a valuable diamond is stolen by Franky Four Fingers (Benicio Del Toro) and Vinny (Robbie Gee) and Sol (Lennie James) with their driver Tyrone (Ade) are sent to rob the bookies in which Franky has supposedly gone to place a bet on the fight, in order to gain the diamond for their boss. The best scenes by far contain Vinny, Sol and Avi attempting to rob the bookies and them in their getaway car with the stray dog Vinny has rescued. They are hilarious and the casting is perfect. 

Directed by Guy Ritchie and with an all star cast I thought I’d be pretty impressed. However, I feel that it fell short of the hype and status as a classic it seems to have picked up. 

The characters were mostly likeable and interesting, and the acting is certainly up to scratch. But I felt there was just too much going on with all the interlinking stories to make it enjoyable. I felt that as soon as I’d started getting interested in one set of characters and their story it whizzed onto the next and repeated the same feelings. It was almost like it was a small child who couldn’t quite sit still. I felt that too much went on within the length of the film; it could have been extended or some of the story left out in order for it to run smoother for me.

Overall, it was a good film but a bit too rushed for me as I prefer a slow build up where I can really get to know the characters before all the running around begins.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment