Vita Brevis Breviter In Brevi Finietu

Vita Brevis Breviter In Brevi Finietu

Saturday 30 June 2012

Photo Every Day #182

Today I watched the short documentary film 'Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe'. The film is to the point, it sees Herzog attempting to flavour the shoe as best he can before eating it on a stage in front of an audience. Herzog ate his shoe as he promised to do such a thing should Errol Morris complete his film 'Gates Of Heaven'. He is clearly a man who sticks to his word. I've also been watching his 'On Death Row' series, which spurred me to watch this short. I really love Herzog's style, I find it a lot less biased that conventional prison/crime documentaries which tend to sensationalise the case and attempt to de-humanise the criminals. Instead, 'On Death Row' allows us to just simply hear what it is like to have to live with the consequences of such actions. The case details are discussed, it would be impossible to ommit them, but it is done in such a way that means it isn't the focus of the documentary; time is. For the average person it is impossible to imagine what it would be like to not only commit such serious offences, but to live with the consequences for the rest of your life and this is why I find this subject fascinating. I am going to be watching as much of Herzog's works as I can as I think he is an inspirational filmmaker and will hopefully be an influence on my own future films.

Rainbows:
Untitled

Song Of The Day: Green Day - Walking Contradiction
Reason: One of my favourite Green Day songs, the video is amusing too.

Highlight Of The Day: Watching two more episodes of 'On Death Row'

No comments:

Post a Comment